The obvious question is why Hadot describes Socrates in this way. I think it'd be best if we broke it up and analyzed it in pieces. Let's start with definitions. Ambiguous can mean something that is not clear. Troubling can be defined as having problems, fears, and/or anxiety. Finally, disconcerting is an adjective that describes feeling unsettled. He promotes this solely to contest the statement that says that Socrates is "a harmonious figure, combining divine and human characteristics in delicate nuances." He goes on to blatantly discuss how physically ugly Socrates is. This gesture alone is enough to say that it's clear that Hadot simply doesn't like Socrates, which would explain that previous statement describing Socrates.
But what evidence is there to prove that Hadot actually dislikes Socrates, and why? There is actually evidence to prove that Hadot doesn't dislike Socrates completely. He explains that "Socrates' exterior appearance - ugly, buffoon-like, impudent, almost monstrous - was only a mask and a facade." Does this mean that while Hadot doesn't like Socrates appearance physically, he can appreciate his inner appearance.. his thoughts? I doubt it- Hadot goes on to say how "Socrates was not only ugly, but a dissimulator as well." Another word for dissimulator is hypocrite and is later defined in the text as a type of irony of the time. Personally, I find that hilarious because I believe I called Socrates a hypocrite in my last blog post about the Apology since I spotted so many contradictions with his statements. Given that, it's safe to say that Hadot truly dislikes Socrates inside and out.. but why?
It seems like Hadot wasn't the only one who disliked Socrates. I mean, Socrates was sentenced to death so there was a good amount of people with a particular dislike for him. It's displayed throughout the text that Socrates character and hypocritical behavior led to this dislike. One can even call it immense hatred from certain characters such as Nietzsche.
No comments:
Post a Comment