s e a r c h

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

[PHIL 101 - 4] Sartre says that "man is condemned to be free".

TW: Depression

How would one explain this statement by Sartre to someone who had never read any Sarte before? To start, I would read them this line by Sarte, "Nor, on the other hand, if God does not exist, are we provided with any values or commands that could legitimise our behaviour. Thus we have neither behind us, nor before us in a luminous realm of values, any means of justification or excuse. – We are left alone, without excuse. That is what I mean when I say that man is condemned to be free." There are many people in different religious denominations that use God(s) or their scripture to back up their actions and to accuse others. 

I'd like to start with an example given recent events from the pandemic. Sadly, there are some christians that are, what we call, "anti-maskers." It's defined in the name- these people don't want to wear their mask in public even given the amount of caution and deaths around the world. But they believe it's a righteous thing to do saying 'God will protect me'. Quite humorous, honestly. 

Given my experience with christian ideals, I can speak on them with an existentialist point of view given Sartre's ideals to back me up. With that, I won't be able to present any examples from other religions. Given that, I'd like to introduce how many christians follow the values of their theology even if it's against their will. I've met Catholics who wish to get a divorce with their spouse but wouldn't, solely because christianity is against divorce. If I were Satre, I would say that that is still their decision and if that person really wanted a divorce, they would choose to do so. However, since people take religion as a serious factor of their life, they almost give up their freedom and use religion as an excuse. You can get a divorce. You're just making excuses.

Personally, I've felt "condemned to be free" more than once. Growing up catholic in a strict and very religious household was condemnation enough. I've been told that I've broken all ten commandments by my father at a young age, causing me to give up many of my hobbies and forcing myself to stop liking tv and music. This alone has caused me to be wary of my thoughts and actions, scared of 'sinning'. It was truly a time where I felt condemned to be free. Ultimately, I became severely depressed in highschool and would sleep in late into the afternoon/evening to avoid life in general. It truly felt like I was being condemned to live. 

But now I'm better :D

No comments:

Post a Comment